Here's the recipe:
1/4 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups buttermilk*
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 tbsp flaxseed meal
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups finely chopped apples (leave skin on for more fibre)
Brown sugar centre:
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar until combined.
- Beat in buttermilk.
- In another bowl, combine flours, flax, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt.
- Add to buttermilk mixture and stir well.
- Add apples and mix until combined.
- Spread half the batter into a greased bundt pan. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle onto batter. Top with remaining batter.
- Bake at 350F for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool in pan.
Trudy's Notes: I used my KitchenAid mixer for this recipe and was just careful to only use the lowest stir setting when I added the apples. I baked it for 40 minutes and that was perfect. It really depends on your oven but any longer would have been too long in mine.
I had to take a photo of the cake before I cut a slice because I was amazed that it actually came out in one whole piece. Here it is!
Since we're on the topic of delicious food, don't forget to enter the giveaway for a Sample Box of Baby Gourmet. It's also worth checking out Baby Gourmet if you have toddlers as the food comes in convenient packaging and toddlers love it too (and it's healthy!).