Tuesday, May 17, 2011

How to Discipline a Two Year Old

So my son is challenging us more and more each day.  At first, I just blamed his behaviour on the terrible twos and tried to redirect him and asked him to apologize.  He is great at saying he is sorry but I don't feel like he really "gets it" as he'll do the same thing again the next time around.  Also, he doesn't listen..at all.  He will do the opposite of what we ask which leads us to use reverse pyschology but I'm not sure how appropriate that is either.

Should I really be teaching my child not to listen to what I want by tricking him into doing things I want by thinking it's not what I want?  The more I think about it, the more I feel that it's probably not the best idea.  On the other hand, sometimes we just cope the best we can to make it through the day even if we're not following the best parenting guidelines.

I am starting to wonder if it's time for time outs..but I don't want to be threatening time outs fifty times a day either.  It may be time to break out The Happiest Toddler on the Block.  It always makes me feel better about everything...at least I don't feel like as much of a failure at disciplining my child after I read a few pages which reassure me that my experience is totally normal.  Don't get me wrong..my child is very nice the majority of the time but he's got the whole "me me me" attitude right now along with a very bossy way of speaking as he expands his vocabulary and sentence building power.

Please tell me this is normal and I would love some suggestions for appropriate discipline to guide my 2 1/2 year old's behaviour.  He'll be three in September and I was hoping it would get easier but I'm starting to highly doubt it.

2 comments:

  1. Oh man! I think you have my 3 year old!! I remember years ago someone telling me that at this age, they are not manipulative or intentional, just exploring. My daughter was emceeing a parenting conference (11years old!) and the experts were saying to ask for cooperation instead of punishing children. I always "power down" when my little one begins his controlling ways, and he seems to like to cooperate...just takes more talking time :-)! good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter is 2 1/2 is the exact same! We kept making excusses because we moved, new house, started daycare and I'm sure it's part of those things too...but how long can you make excusses, right! She is also sooo good and saying sorry and we don't even need to ask her to do it now! lol! I do a lot of distraction. When I know the behaviour is getting back, I try to re-direct her and find that really helps. One way I do this is by getting a book and pulling out a toy not already in front of her. I was reading somewhere about toddlers having bad days soon and of couse..we all do, right! So one day she was really frustrated with something I could see the steam coming from here ears. I just knelt down beside and asked if she was okay. She screamed at the top of her lungs....this would usually get her a time out, but all I asked if she felt better now and hugged her. She sobbed for few seconds and then we moved on. Sometimes a hug works too and I see that I don't always give her all the attention she needs. Mind you, I only have 1 kid...but these are just some things I have been on working on, in order to control the "terrible twoes"!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails