Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A Professional Student

I think I may have become a professional student, something I never particularly wanted to be.  I just registered for yet another university class this fall as I work towards my Masters in Education.  It's a class in Teaching Writing to Speakers of Other Languages and I am really looking forward to it!   It'll be even more applicable since I'm back to work now and will be able to make real life applications as I teach during the day and study in the evenings.

My real interest seems to be falling in the area of EAL and digital literacies.  I doubt I could get much more specific but I feel good about choosing two areas that are thriving and relevant.  There is no shortage of international students (immigrants, refugees) coming to Saskatchewan and knowledge of multiliteracies is essential in our increasingly digital world for everyone, including additional language learners. 

Maybe someone out there in the digital world with some idea of how Master's programs work can tell me if I can take the course option and still work towards a doctorate someday?   Do I want to complete my doctorate, you may ask?  I have no idea..I just like to keep my options open.  That's the same reason I took Grade 12 Physics..to keep my options open.  I never ended up using it and wish I hadn't taken it although I suppose it occasionally has a slight benefit during my tutorial class.   Very slight...minuscule, in fact. 

I have no idea why I am still awake except that it's been a very eventful day.  I should go to bed and sleep very soundly now...hope everyone is having a great week!  Also, don't forget to check out the Current Giveaways tab for a chance at winning a subscription and book set from Discovery Girls Magazine.  It would be great for parents of tween or teen girls or a middle school/high school teacher such as myself.  I took them to school for my students to "review" and have had them at home so I could write about them on my blog.  One of the girls in my class asked me to bring them back today so obviously they are worth the read!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails