This recipe comes from one of my favourite cookbooks, Eat, Shrink and Be Merry.
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup oat bran
|Fresh Out of the Oven|
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (3 large or 4 medium)
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts if you prefer)
1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degree Fahreinheit. Spray two 8 x 4 inch loaf pans with cooking spray and set aside. It's important to use two smaller pans or the banana bread won't cook through without burning.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oat bran, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat together eggs and brown sugar on medium speed of electric mixer for 2 minutes. Add bananas, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla. Beat again until well blended.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. Do not use electric mixer for this step. Fold in nuts and chocolate chips. Do not over-mix batter. (I did use the mixer but just used the stirring function.)
- Divide batter evenly among loaf pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Cool loaves in pans on a wire rack for about ten minutes and then remove and slice to enjoy! If you are planning on saving and freezing, the recipe recommends removing the loaves from the pans after about ten minutes before cooling entirely and then freezing in plastic wrap.
Each loaf makes 8 slices and 1 slice (serving) is 173 calories.