Sunday, December 5, 2010

Let the Christmas Baking Begin! (Toblerone Shortbread)

Now that my term paper is finished, I can finally start to think about Christmas.  It might be a good day to get our Christmas tree...I just realized it was December 5th!  One thing about maternity leave is that the concept of time has really started to elude me.

Last night, I finally made some Christmas cookies..the first batch of many!  I made Toblerone Shortbread cookies (thanks Lyne for providing us with your friend's recipe!) and they look delicious.  I have to be honest and say that I've only eaten one so far and it was likely too warm to get the true effect of it yumminess.  I find that sugar cookies and shortbread cookies taste better after a day or two.  Of course, the KitchenAid mixer (which hereonafter will be referred to as "Martha" for obvious reasons) was wonderful as always.  Martha whipped up those cookies in no time.  It even worked well to mix the chocolate chunks from the chocolate bar.

I made the first batch and decided the cookies clearly needed more chocolate so I chopped up some larger chunks and added them.  Then, I topped each cookie off with a piece of Toblerone.  I could only find the miniature ones at the grocery store so they were perfect for this.

Martha whipped up the dough effortlessly.
Toblerone Shortbread Cookies  

Ingredients:
2 cups of butter, softened
1 cup of white sugar
A dash of L<3VE
2 tsp of vanilla
4 cups of all purpose flour
1 Large Toblerone bar
A sprinkle of Laughter...

Recipe:
1 - Preheat oven @ 350F
2 - Cream butter and sugar until fluffy
3 - Stir in vanilla
4 - Add in flour and mix well
5 - Chop Toblerone into pieces
6 - Add to mixture
7 - Take cookie dough, press & form roundish cookies (1/4 inch thick) 
8 - Bake between 9-12 minutes

Fresh out of the oven!
The tempting little morsels gracing our kitchen today.
Just a couple other notes...I used  a 150 gram bag initially but then added more.   I would say that the recipe makes about 4 dozen cookies depending on how large you make them.  Also, make sure to use REAL Toblerone bars as I tried an imitation brand on another batch and the chocolate melts too much.  The Toblerone holds its shape better and tastes better.

Testimonials:

"How many of these cookies do we need to save for Christmas?"  - Jeremy

"Yay Cookie!!" - Connor

"Every cookie should have a chocolate bar in it." - Trudy (Connor and I shared a cookie for lunch today and it's much yummier once they have cooled.)

Next up: Rolo Cookies

For more Christmas recipes or to contribute your favourite, visit my Facebook Page.

6 comments:

  1. Glad you liked them (and got the seal of approval from the boys!) and now I have even more of an excuse to get a KitchenAid mixer cause these are a PAIN to mix by hand let me tell ya! Hmmm... never thought to put a small piece of toblerone on top! Nice addition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lyne, I can't even imagine mixing them by hand (anymore!). That would have been tough especially trying to evenly mix in the chocolate pieces. I think there are lots of good deals on mixers at this time of year...usually you can get them half price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a "martha" yet...It's on my begging list....we'll see how my hand-held mixer works tomorrow...I have slave labour aka the fiancé's little sister coming to bake tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! I had to name my mixer...I was reading the KitchenAid forum to find some recipes and it seemed like the thing to do. I don't think the mixing will be too bad if you leave the butter out to soften for a few hours first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hehehe Trudy :) I finally got my mixer so now I need a name for it ;) These cookies are the last on my list of cookies to bake for this coming Christmas, yes its only October but getting everything done early is my goal for this year so I'm freezing them...and then burying them in my deepfreeze so I can't get at them on a daily basis...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! I would love to make mine early but I wouldn't be able to practice restraint and I'm sure I'd eat them. It wouldn't matter how far I buried them. I'll probably wait until I am off work for Christmas although you may have inspired me to start sooner.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails